Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Yellowstone... ... ... Not!

In the morning as I headed out towards Yellowstone, from Cody, I noticed shiny sign, East entrance to Yellowstone opens 5/4 call # for further information. So, I called and true enough, road opens in two days. So, I decided to skip Yellowstone and head to Belgrade, MT via some scenic roads. I found Chief Joseph Scenic Byway which would probably offer some nice views. As I took turn onto Byway, another sign popped into view. Oh yeah, Route 212 from the end of Chief Joseph Scenic Byway towards Red Lodge is closed. Along the way to Red Lodge with different route I encountered another two road closures, through which I had to take some good old country roads as detour.

It was midmorning by now and I did not eat breakfast, and along the road came Bearcreek. Little miner's town mostly deserted. Along the road towards Bearcreek I saw signed posted for "World Famous Banana Cream Pie", so I decided to end my hunger with some pie. I entered Hungry Bear Bakery, and met with very nice Midwestern lady. She served with the pie and some coffee. As I ate we started up the conversation (my accent was the kick-off point), and I came to learn that her husband's family came to Montana in late 1880-ties from Montenegro. Last name Kotaric, quickly got turned into simpler version Kotar. She explained to me that in late 1940-ties Bearcreek was booming with over 5,000 residents as mining town. Since then is twiddled down to mere 200+. I was kind of hungry so I had another piece, this time I had coconut cream pie. With pies gone, it was time for me to get back on the road. I said farewell to Dawna Kotar and Bearcreek, MT.

Red Lodge was not what I expected and I was filled up on the good homemade pies, so I continued on to Belgrade via I-90. In Belgrade, I visited the Yellowstone - Harley Davidson store and bought some souvenirs, again (I visited this store first time in 2003, on my way to Chicago, from San Francisco). While, buying some parts at Napa store, I asked clerk for lunch suggestion. He asked for direction I was headed into, and suggested place called Sir Scott’s Oasis Steakhouse and Lounge in Manhattan, MT, 9 miles west of Belgrade. If the road ever takes you this part of the country, stop by the place. Food I had was great. Can anyone guess what Finger Steaks are? After lunch I headed west to Missoula, where I am writing you from. Tomorrow, I am headed towards Glacier National Park, MT.

No comments: