Friday, May 4, 2007

Two rainy days

Thursday and Friday were just brutal weather wise. It all started out with rain in Missoula, MT. I turned on CB radio and forecast called for 2-4" of snow in the mountains heading north to Kalispell, MT. Ride was good and FJ Cruiser handled well over the mountains. I had coffee break in Kalispell and moved on towards West Glacier. Again, my timing was off, since road through the Glacier NP is closed until mid-June. Yey!!! So, I drove around the park, and on the Shelby, MT. This part of Montana is washed with heavy gusty winds.

Next morning, while still raining, I crossed into Canada. Alberta here I come. And, it was just like Montana, except flatter, with gustier winds, lower speed limits, more expensive gas and well that Canadian feeling to it :) I reached DPP (Dinosaur Provincial Park) and pleasantly surprised I was not the only person there. Two rednecks from Montana were just as surprised to see City Slicker. Nice thing is that I was able to drive inside of the park. It reminded me of the South Dakota Badlands (DPP is part of Canadian Badlands), except it looked a little different with all the rain, I don't know how else to explain it. It looked like it was eroding right in front my eyes. Another thing I noticed about Alberta is abundant wild life.

Drumheller was short ride north. This is the place hosting largest Dinosaur. You can actually climb inside of it to a platform within the mouth of the Rex and look outside. I got there too late (story of my early trip, early-late-late-early, timing I have to work on), so I snapped picture and drove off into the sunset, towards Calgary. Before you go off into the sunset, check out that photo. FJ can fit into one T-Rex's foot, and it is not the optical illusion, I measured it.

I finished off the night with dinner at Big T's Smokehouse.

No comments: