Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Mt. Rushmore vs. Crazy Horse

From Rapid City I headed south towards Mt. Rushmore. Since I was up little early, breakfast in Keystone, SD sounded like a good idea. Little after 9am I entered Gatzon Borglum Museum in Keystone. I was glad I did. The mp3 guided tour through the museum was enlightening. Like everything else in life, even decisions of which presidents were to be included were political. Gee I think I am onto something here. Ha, ha! After the short ride I parked and entered Mount Rushmore National Memorial. It was amazing sight. I even got a shot of goat.

Next stop was Crazy Horse Memorial, a memorial to all Native American Indian Tribes. When the memorial is finished it will be grand. Whole Mt. Rushmore will be able to fit within the head of the Crazy Horse’s head. Crazy Horse was infamous War Chief. The memorial is solely funded by private parties, ticket and souvenir sales and the Elders have repeatedly refused Federal funding.

I had lunch at Iron Horse Inn in Deadwood. Anyone watching HBO series? I got to see the movie in the chamber of commerce and they made a point that real Deadwood was not as vulgar. Yeah, right! I also stopped by Kevin Costner's place "The Midnight Star", if anyone cares.

Driving down Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway coming from Deadwood/Lead area is easy and relaxing since it is all down the canyon. From Spearfish I took I-90 to Buffalo, WY, and then scenic Route 16 to Cody, WY. Powder River Pass on Route 16 is at 9666 feet. Still some snow-dirt patches left.

No comments: