Sunday, May 6, 2007

To Alaska Highway

Finally! I have reached Mile 0 today. Just around 3pm I arrived in Dawson Creek, BC. I stopped by the visitor center and got to see the movie on making of the Alaskan Highway. I also got to procure valuable information on what to do and see along the way. This information should compliment my existing guides and Milepost publication.

Road to Dawson Creek took some time, since I decided to take an alternative route. After about 50 miles on Hwy 40, I swerved off the road to Hwy 734, unpaved-truck-logging-dirt-road. I wanted to test out the truck and my skills in driving. I was lucky since the day was warm and ground, well in prime condition. Road was just finishing with drying after all the rains, so dust was not an issue except on couple of spots. I also got to hit couple of muddy parts, but nothing heavy duty. Only one logging truck passed by me in the opposite direction. I ran into bunch of pickup trucks as I got closer to Grande Prairie, with ATVs loaded up in the bed. I guess off-roading is huge up here. Once I got back onto Hwy 40, I check the tires and under body. Looks muddy but okay. Rest of the trip was under heavy gusty winds, blowing in my chest so I had to fight for the control of the vehicle couple of times.

Since it was still light out, I decided to move on to Fort St. John about 45 min. north. Along the way I picked up another hour and am officially in Pacific time zone. Super 8 I am staying tonight is out of this world. This is like a mansion, unlike Super 8-s in US. Anyway, another hard-wire connection and hence I am blogging again.

1 comment:

Michael Woodward said...

Awesome Todor... I am loving the blog and pics. Keep 'em coming..safe travels!

-joe h