Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Alaska Highway, Day #2

Night at the Northern Rockies Lodge was peaceful. I left Muncho Lake and headed north on Alaska Highway towards Liard River Hot Springs. Entrance to the springs is free this time of year, so I grabbed the towel and swim-shorts and headed for the springs. I changed quickly and hopped in. I stayed in for about 3h, until my hands were so wrinkled I thought skin would fall off. I was boiled to perfection :) Coming out was lot harder than getting in. Water temperature was between 40C-49C (104F-120F), outside was about 40F.

An hour or two later I passed through Watson Lake. It's the place with all the post signs. Amazing what one homesick soldier started. Soon after I stopped at Rancheria Lodge for a late-late lunch (7pm). I have to explain this again I guess. As you travel north, days get longer, so when you drive and you look at the sun, you go, ohh I have another 2-3 hours of daylight, then you look at the clock and it's 7pm. Well, this place was right out of the South Park. The mum, the superb Canadian son which ends every sentence with 'ehh', the cheesy food, three legged dog, ohh just to name the few. I rolled into Whitehorse as the sun was setting around 11pm.

Ohh ohh I almost forgot, just before Whitehorse there is Lucky Lake Recreational Park, I stopped to take few shots when this native Indian runs up to me and says: "Yoh man, you got some toilet paper I can buy?". The alcohol on this breath was extreme, so I decided to share some of my finest Scotts roll with him. Bugger grabbed the whole thing stuffed $5 into my hand and ran off, toward portables. Bizarre as it was I proceeded to the lake area. On my way back a Indian woman walks up to me and wants to return the roll to me, half used up. I politely declined and ran for my truck before who knows what happened next. I heard behind me, Indian-man-voice: "Yoh man, stop hitting on my woman", Indian-woman-voice: "I am not your woman, you drunk...", FJ-Cruiser-tires-voice: squickkkkkkkkk, wrooooooooooooommm.

No comments: