Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Alaska Highway, Day #3

Since I rolled into Whitehorse late, I decided to sleep in. I got out of hotel just before checkout time and rolled over to Java Connection. After I got properly caffeinated I checked out the visitor center, watched the movie on Yukon Territories which was total BS (they showed you 2 fabulous months of the year). I stopped by NAPA store bought some octane boosters (many gas stations only sell 87 and my darn truck likes premium). I also rearranged my gas cans, now that they are actually full of gasoline, laying down position was not an option, spillage was imminent.

Since Dawson City ferry was out of business while the ice chucks disappear I headed towards US via Beaver Creek instead. 1st stop Haines Junction, YT. Btw, if the road ever takes you this part of the world stop by the Village Bakery across from the visitor center (closed at the time). I had amazing meat pie with corn crusting, and cheese and herbs puff. I took Nanaimo Bar, Two-Tone Brownie, Cinnamon Roll and Cinnamon/Apple Puff for the road. I was about 20 miles out when I tried Nanaimo Bar and I wished I got more, it was soooooooooooooo good. Two-tone brownie was as good as Little Debbie's.

Before I knew I was in Beaver Creek, YT. I kind of expected little more for the border town, so I moved on to the US Custom's hoping other side would be better. Naye! Border City is trailer park Tuesday so I kept driving. Now, to make things clear this part of the journey from Beaver Creek on is just plain BORING. Flatlands, surrounded by water infested mosquitoes, burned out trees, for miles and miles and miles. I stopped in Tok, AK to grab some food. Fast Eddy's Restaurant looked like busiest place on the strip so I checked in. Food was regular dinner stuff which was great for this part of country!!! They had motel adjacent to it, so I grabbed to room, and hooked myself up to the internet. I calculated the time differences and decided to call into my parents and let them know I am okay.

No comments: