Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Kenai Peninsula, Day 2


It was still raining when I woke up, so I decided to bundle up and head back north. I decided to stop again in Kenai, thinking I should get past Nikiski and into some state park, but half-way into Nikiski I turned back. It reminded me to much of Elizabeth, NJ or Richmond, CA, same type of deal, oil refineries and too industrial for my trip. As I was leaving Kenai, I spotted a restaurant with funky name and bunch of pickups parked up front. Ah, workers on the lunch break. Place is Little Ski-Mo's Burger-N-Brew. While lunching there on the burger n' beer, a moose-calf ran in the front lawn. It ran over the street and into the near by woods. Workers were rooting it on, "Run Forrest Run". Moose vs. car traffic 1-0. Elsewhere on the Kenai Peninsula result was not so favorable for Mr. & Mrs. Moose with total of 264 deaths since the beginning of the calendar year. After lunch I quickly zoomed through Soldotna, Sterling, Cooper Landing, past Kenai Lake, and I reach Hope, AK; the best preserved gold mining town in Alaska. With the size and all tour was quick and I moved north towards Whittier. I found out the schedule for the tunnel and went to Anchorage for the night. Yes, it is still raining. Interestingly enough I got mistaken for Alaska number of time while I was on Kenai Peninsula. I decided it might have something to do with my unkempt looks. I have not shaved in 10 days and I was looking little Alaskan with that beard (sorry excuse for the beard), baseball hat and glasses. Right then I decided also that at some point I should get rid of the beard. :))

No comments: