Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Kenai Peninsula, Day 1

Seward looked little bit depressed to me, so I took off after a short ride around town. I pass through the village of Moose Pass. I hit the Sterling around lunch time. Here is where I applied my proven way to find decent place in town to eat. Drive around until you find the place with most cars parked in front of the place. I have applied this method many times during this trip and ... it did not fail me yet. So, I stopped and Suzie's and got Captain's Seafood Platter. Yummie!!! Remember this will work in places where you can reach all 5 corners of the place within 2 minutes of driving and principality has no more than 5 places to eat :))) I passed over Kenai River, then Russian River and got to Soldotna, then headed north to city of Kenai. I stopped by the visitor center and found out that the second oldest Russian Orthodox church is near by. I went to see it and got to chat with priest there.

After the repast, I moved south towards Homer. City of Homer in itself is nothing special, but Homer Spit is remarkable. It is the 2nd longest Spit in the world I was told by locals. After some friendly talk with a local owner of some art gallery, I was told that one place, one bar that is a must see in Homer, is of course Salty Dawg Saloon. So, I parked the FJ Cruiser and found Salty Dawg near by and went in. Nice bar, good local booze. They brew it and package it in used SoBe iced tea bottles. 20oz bottle for $8, good deal and good brew. I tried their Bitter first, then Wheat. Since the heavy rain started while I was at the Dawg I decided to bunk up at Bidarka Inn (Best Western) to upload photos and blog a little.

No comments: